Monday, May 24, 2010

Uh...let's mitigate some expectations here

I have a tendency to let my resolve get the best of me. I get all panicky and sweaty about something and then I make a resolution to start on the righteous path of said failed something. Such resolutions usually start "tomorrow." I don't think I'm alone in this approach, but what usually happens is that I get impatient and overload myself and then burn out a week later.

Above description may or may not be what happened to my writing resolution.

The lovely Lola made a very good point in the comments section of my last blog post: if you're a full time non-writing worker (that would be me), 1,000 words a day is a reasonable goal. If I didn't believe that before, it's been made clear to me now. I've done well with my writing goals to a certain extent, but keeping up 2,000 words a day was making my skin itch (not literally, that would be indicative of an entirely different problem). It was also forcing me further along in my story each time than I anticipated, which brought me to a stopping point when I tried to figure out how to move forward or transition into the next scene. However, with word counts on the table I didn't think I could afford to stop and ponder, which lead to crappy transitions and filler dialogue.

All of this explanation leads to one simple point: I'm adjusting my goal. 1,000 words a day is much more reasonable for me, and won't put me that much farther off my end goal of finishing the damn thing all together (don't bother me if I've used the wrong all together/altogether. I never did learn that right). I know I can accomplish 1K easily and regularly (much like Metamucil), and if I happen to go over that in a certain day because the fire takes me, well that just brings my end goal that much closer.

So I hope to hop back into the world o' blogs a little more this week as I reset my expectations. Also, I might actually have time to work out now, which is good for everyone (TRUST me).

3 comments:

Lydia Kang said...

Yes, you have to find balance with writing and working and blogging, oh my.

I know it took me a while to find my balance, and though it's not perfect, I know better how to find my center of gravity.

Kimberly Franklin said...

I commented but I don't know if you got it. LOL. Blogger sucks sometimes. :)

Kimberly Franklin said...

Balancing life and writing isn't always easy. I have problems doing it too. I hope you meet your goal! Just keep at it, you'll get there. :)